Tuesday 20 July 2010

To drink or not to drink

I don't drink.

This is a statement I have repeated on many an occasion, be it at a works do, a birthday party or just a regular night out with friends. And 99% of the time I am met with the same puzzled look of bewilderment followed up by the assumption that there must be some great reason as to why this is: allergies, religious reasons, pregnancy... But the simple truth is that I just don't like it very much.



My mother was never strict about my exposure to alcohol, and from a young age allowed me to try (in moderation of course) the adult tastes she felt I should experience. Pre-teen years I was allowed a sip of Kiddush wine as part of the traditional Jewish occasions, from Friday night dinner to Rosh Hashanah (the new year celebrations) and as I matured I moved on to white wine spritzers, which were drunk in controlled environments - usually accompanied by dinner and my grandparents company. It is my belief that due to this freedom and lack of taboo surrounding alcohol, once I reached 'clubbing age', unlike my friends who were gasping for hangovers and experimental opportunities so long denied to them, I was not entranced by the A word.

I attended my high school prom at age 17 (the youngest in my year) and while my cohorts set up camp around the tiny bar, I enjoyed the evening dancing the night away. However, when I reached university, this hysteria reached a whole new level as friends claimed it impossible to endure a night out without the aid of copious amounts of alcohol. There followed an almost competitive push throughout student-ville as to who was nursing the worst hangover the morning after and what embarrassing antics they had participated in while enjoying their drunken stupor.

I admit, the few times I have made erroneous judgments on nights out and wished I could have blamed it on drunkenness, has not escaped me. However, I never felt the need to drink, I don't particularly enjoy the taste of most alcoholic drinks (though granted most don't - it is the affects they pursue over taste) and I really didn't want to part with my cash when I could be spending it on clothes and shoes.

Maybe it's because I am a bit of a control freak, maybe it's because I am mortally afraid of alcohol-fuelled ventures resulting in me lying on the floor flashing the entire population of central London on a Saturday night, maybe I've smelled too many wine and beer-breathed peers to risk subjecting myself to it, or maybe it's because on the few occasions I've drunk alcohol it's just run right through me...

I'm also one of those rare freaks who doesn't drink coffee. Yes, I know your mouths must be on the proverbial floor, but please do pick them up again. My reason - I don't like it. And that's the basic truth - if I don't like something, I won't do it. Why should I? Just because everyone else is doing it? To avoid the judgement I face at a variety of occasions (including meeting someone for the obligatory 'coffee' in Starbucks or Costa)?

Last night was my work summer party, a sophisticated affair at the Kensington Roof Gardens. Conversations preceding the event were primarily punctuated by intentions of consuming vast amounts of alcohol and what would ensue later in the night as a result... I am not a party pooper, and I don't ever try to draw attention to my tee-total status - I silently drink my orange juice or water (yes water) and enjoy the night as much as everyone else. And, on little or no sleep, often feel as terrible as my hungover colleagues the following morning.

Essentially, everyone is free to drink or not, without judgement. But perhaps it would be interesting to step back and ask ourselves, why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails