Monday 19 July 2010

Talking bout Religion

The hubby and I spent half the weekend with family friends in order to experience a true Shabbat (the Jewish sabbath which runs from sunset on Friday evening to dark on Saturday night).



We arrived just before 7pm and shortly after, the men left for evening prayers at synagogue while the women remained at home. We had switched off our mobile phones and were shown which lights in the house would remain on and what time the rest would go off.

An hour later the menfolk returned and we all sat down for a delicious dinner consituting of the traditional Friday night dinner menu: chopped liver, egg & onion and Challa (traditional plaited bread) to start, followed by Chicken soup, then the main dish of roasted chicken, roast potatoes, an array of vegetables and so on and then to finish up our hostess presented us with a selection of desserts, from homemade tiramisu to fresh fruit salad. And as if this wasn't enough, coffee, tea and chocolates were brought out afterwards.

Dinner (or the banquet as it should more aptly be referred to) was followed by lively conversation in the family room, before we finally retired to sleep well past midnight.

At 8am the next morning, we were awoken as our host let us know it was almost time for the morning service at synagogue. An interesting point, of which I was not formerly aware, is that showering is not officially allowed during Shabbat. As an obsessive showerer, I had one but my husband chose to follow it by the book and thus had me prodding him every half an hour asking if now he wanted to have a shower?? The answer was irrefutably, no.

I opted to stay at home with our hosts' daughter while the others attended the 3-hour morning service. I read my book and several magazines and chatted about everything from cakes and dieting to celebrities and work.

On the others return we sat down for kiddush (a custom by which prayers are made over wine). Two other guests had been invited for lunch so we all chatted about life. The interesting thing about listening to the theme of conversation in a religious household is that more often than not (particularly on Shabbat) it will centre on issues key to the religion. From what the rabbi discussed in his sermon that morning to the differing topics highlighted in the variety of Jewish newspapers (The Jewish News, The Jewish Chronicle, The Tribune, Hamodia etc) and of course, a favourite amongst Jewish mothers - what they're children are up to, particularly if it's impressively good!!

Then before we sat down for lunch, it is customary to wash hands, and then remain silent until the prayer over the Challa (bread) is made and we have all taken a piece. Again, lunch was a foodie affair with a selection of cold meats, salads and bread, followed by several desserts.

The guests left after lunch, and as is also typical of a Shabbat afternoon went home for a sleep, which my husband also chose to participate in. Although I was incredibly tired - having not slept particularly well and woken early - I decided to stay up and read my book... which I did for the next four hours (in addition to Vogue, In Style and Grazia!!)

We all sat in the family room and chatted, drank tea, ate cake and After Eights and read and slept. At about 9pm the men returned to synagogue for closing prayers and on their return at 10.30pm we did Havdalah - a brief ceremonial service comprising wine, spices and the lighting of a candle, which symbolises the ending of the sabbath and the drawing in of a new week. In the summer, Shabbat goes out exceptionally late due to the days remaining lighter later.

It was a strange experience to just completely relax and do not very much at all, and oddly I now feel more tired than if I had gone about my usual weekend activities... the people we met swear by the restorative benefits of their relaxed Shabbat, saying it sets them up for the rest of the week. I guess it depends on what you're used to and what your body's used to. I think if it's used to activity and stimulation, then depriving it of those things can wear it out from lack of use. I would have liked to have gone for a walk however there wasn't the opportunity - prehaps that would have made me feel differently.

Overall, it was a good experience but unusual. I enjoyed the absence of TV, mobile phones and other technological distractions but I must have my shower!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails