Thursday 11 February 2010

Superheroes...



The current trend with the supernatural, reflected in the TV shows and films we watch, the books we read, the topics we discuss, all comes down to the fact that we are fascinated with mystery and the unknown.

From vampires, to individuals with superpowers we search for ways to enhance our humanity, our mortality. Is it because we are afraid of death, of our human frailty? Possessing our own powers or being shielded by the powers of another sustains those who are looking to have faith in something. Believing we are capable of protecting ourselves and those we love enables us to feel as though we are in control of our destiny.

When I was a little girl I wanted to be a witch, my friend and I were obsessed with The Worst Witch books and we would act out the stories during playtime at school, imagining we could fly and cast spells. My parents split up and my Dad moved to the other side of the world and life was hard. My fantasies of witch-craft and the imaginary world I built up around myself was my coping mechanism for all that life had to throw at me.

I would pray and I would tell myself that it didn't matter what happened to me, because my body was only a shell and my soul would survive no matter what. I went to see a councillor, and rather than talk, I drew. I drew pictures of what was going on in my head and I made things that represented my desires. I channelled my pain through my creativity. I am so grateful to my imagination and creativity for helping me to survive - that is my superpower.

When we experience traumas, upheavals and crises it forces a re-evaluation of life. I have experienced traumatic losses throughout my life in different forms and they have all taught me about the strength within myself - the ability to cope, to survive and to support the others I love. I believe that we do have "superpowers", they may just not culminate in teleporting, flying, sorcery or extreme mortal combat talents. The "superpower" we have is within ourselves and learning how to use it for our own good is what makes it powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails